Thursday, September 16, 2010

Welcome to the BioSand Blog (BB)!

This Blog is intended to provide an international forum for everyone in the global community who are interested in any aspect of the BioSand Water Filter including the science and engineering behind it, implementation concerns, construction methodology, instructional issues, consumer issues, performance evaluation, regulatory, political, inter-organizational (Government, NGO, private sector, commercial), household to community scale, research, product development, philosophical, sustainability, ownership, sharing of experiences - even some whining is OK . I want everyone associated directly or indirectly with the BioSand Water Filter to share their opinions in an open forum that is not dominated by any vested interest except the promotion of clean water for humanity (sorry if this the name of someone's NGO). I want it to be an honest, constructive dialogue that includes 'the good, the bad and the ugly'.

My postings and comments are intended to raise issues that I've identified as a concern for which I would like feedback. If I need feedback so do a great number of other people. There is a great deal of misinformation 'out there' that needs to be sorted. Also, (not finally), there is a huge body of knowledge on the BioSand Water Filter that needs to be shared - people solving or simply discussing other people's problems. We are not alone! I do not believe anybody's website, including my own is complete. I do not believe that all of the websites out there include all of the answers. There is no 'all knowing' organization with all of the right answers for everyone. (Keep in mind, though, that there are people and organizations with lots of money. So be careful! What?)

My role in the BB is to bring up 'interesting and provocative ideas' which I hope are of interest to the body of readers and contributors to the BB. I will also act as moderator (e.g. no swearing, etc., no spam, advertising and avoid impolite behaviour). I do not take responsibility for anyone's opinions or comments. I will not otherwise edit any comment. If it is polite and within the range of discussion it will be published as is. I may or may not comment. I may editorialize but this will be an 'official' posting. I will answer questions and solicit help in answering questions in the form of a comment in response to a comment. Comments will be archived.

I need this blog to come into face-to-face contact with those who are with me on the journey to take the BioSand Water Filter to the people of the world who need it. It's been twenty years.
Let's start talking.

Dave Manz

www.manzwaterinfo.ca

3 comments:

  1. Hope this blog becomes active with lots of good dialog. Been waiting. I'm still doing BSFs here in the Philippines. Getting ready to build some forms to make our own filters. Having difficulty finding quarried media in our area so I'll be having questions. I am weak in 'sand-ology'. Thanks for being there. Enjoyed our dinner together in Calgary last November. Featured your invention at my wife's school last March (http://wmodavis.blogspot.com/2010/03/drinking-brent-fish-pond-water.html).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really interested in a discussion about media. I have read everything on your web site and now am faced with actually needing to find a media source. I am trying to steer the search to find the best available - i.e. crushed quarry rock. So far our location (Brooke's Point Palawan) we have only found river sand/gravel. My main question is this: Is there any relatively simple test to evaluate presence/absence/severity of organic material to help predict risk of using as filtering media. (I did find a portable rock crusher available in the US but don't have a tractor trailer to pull it. It was only $67000). In your "When here is no crushed rock!" guideline it states "If roasting is considered the media MUST be heated at a high temperature until....". What is 'a high temperature'? If it is not too impractically high, could a 'smoke test' of a sample be a rudimentary check. Not sure how it would be quantified. I'm sure out of my EE field but having a ball and hopefully providing good water in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simplest test for 'contaminated' media is to take a few tablespoons of the media and wash it in a jar with water that you know has no live bacteria. The best water is local water from a well that has been boiled and cooled. Do not use bottled water as this might actually kill the bacteria or prevent it from growing. Shake well and do a presence abscence test. This is a little severe as the media can be contaminated with the handling (including your hands). The best tests take at least 5 grams of media and wash in 1 litre of water (prepared as described) and sending off to an appropriate laboratory.

    Regarding 'roasting the media'.

    You roast until it stops smoking or at least smelling. This will pretty well guarantee that all of the organic material is burnt off the particles or is no longer a suitable 'food ' for organisms.

    ReplyDelete